August 2011

August 2011

Thursday, December 12, 2013

All in a day



Well here we are.  
This love seat just keeps shrinking.

There have been things that I've wanted to write down and 
capture here and so, I'm doing it now before it escapes me again.

What exactly do I do all day, this is what I find difficult explaining to anyone who may wonder, especially my husband.  So here's what I know.

It is most optimal to start my day in the 5 o'clock hour.  My closest friend in high school, Krista, well her mother would say "It's ungodly to wake up before 6am" or something of the sort.  Well, I've proven that wrong here because when I start my day at this hour I can actually sit in quiet and read, interrupted by only my thoughts and not the kids and the avalanche of thoughts they bring.  This is when I like to do my Bible Study, write notes, pray, simply just be.

At 6 am the kids can start coming downstairs.  Sadie had always been the first one down, but this year that's been changing, Micah has his turn too, and they have all been sleeping a tad longer.  Don't get too excited, normally somebody is awake by 6:30am.

Breakfast of baked oatmeal, eggs (scrambled, dippy, or in a cup), chocolate dutch babies, a healthy shake, or cereal are all made rather regularly.  Usually someone doesn't want whatever is served and that's ok.  This is where it gets tricky.  

You see, it is not only time to serve breakfast, but time to prepare the packed lunches too, 3 of them, and don't forget the snacks, and drinks.  Throw in a cup of spilled milk, spelling words to review and lost shoes before 8:30 am and that's a normal morning.  I do have special reminders, alarms that go off to remind me of things I don't want to forget, like Kylie needs to practice piano before school and everyone gets vitamins as well.  Thank you ipod apps!

Once we have prayed and chanted our "DAWSON!" the kids are out the door and Daisy is reaching for her shoes so she can go too, but alas she cannot escape me yet!  Micah has told me 4 times what exactly he wants to watch on TV while I regroup for the day, and the day begins again.

On a good day I'll put the kitchen back in order and others I'll catch up on email and facebook with Daisy desiring my attention the entire time.  A load of laundry may be started, maybe something will be cleaned but always a snack or 5 will be issued to the kids.

Micah and Daisy have been on a kick of eating goat cheese and rice crackers for "lunch" in the 11 o'clock hour.  Daisy is off for a nap thereafter, and Micah busies himself with books, or some toys to pretend something with "firepower".  Micah will lie down for a nap around 12:30ish and will often times lie on top of me to fall asleep as we snuggle.

Once I rouse, a handful of peanuts and chocolate chips and a cup of tea warm me up and bring me back to reality.  A few things around the house can be done before the big kids are picked up at 3:15, maybe I'll start dinner, prepare a snack, or hang a load of laundry.

The alarm for the kids to empty their lunch bags reminds them and me to have them do so.  Sadie will practice piano, homework will be done, and inevitably one of the kids will ask to go on the ipad.  When granted then they will all get a turn for 20 minutes or so.  Before you know it, they are hungry again and dinner hasn't been started.  Dinner is made, family is called and we all sit down to eat, well most of us eat, Micah rarely does, Caleb complains mostly that dinner is disgusting, and life goes on.

The kids usually play after dinner.  They have never been given a bedtime.  They don't ask what time they go to bed and I simply say "it's time" so they don't really know what time is bedtime.  This comes in handy on long days when I can get them in bed earlier than normal.

After tucking the kids in to bed, it's time to clean up the kitchen and plan for the next day.  Around 10pm I collapse into bed.  

2 comments:

  1. Read this the night you posted it, but needed a re-read to feel like i spent a day with you. miss you dear friend, you AND your busy kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you and miss you! You have the most beautiful family! I think of you all the time!

    ReplyDelete