After years of Mat coaxing, it finally happened.
Patient man that he is, Mat has told me for years
that I am a runner.
Having had my last real running experience in Jr High
school not give me that same feeling
I was very reluctant to believe him.
In Jr. High I joined the cross country team, mainly to
be with my friends that were runners.
That was the only reason, and it showed.
I did the running and came in last every time,
but good for me I was just happy to be with my girlfriends.
Why do I not trust my husband more?
He has been right all along.
Allie and I started running in the fall and I have continued
here and there. Mat signed me up for a 5K run in June
that happened to be the day after my birthday, and
so it was on the calendar and there was no getting
out of it.
He even signed the kids up for a 1/2 mile run
on the same day.
I am blogging about this so that it will not be forgotten.
I do not plan on doing any races in the next year
being that I am pregnant mainly, and I don't
want this little speck of being physically active
to be lost in my memory, so for memories sake, here you
have it.
My friend Deb Yoder was in town for my birthday party
and arrived the night before the race. I hadn't told
her that I was doing a 5K but mentioned it to her within the first
10 minutes of her arrival.
Well, she just so happened to bring her running shoes
with her and also had started running the week before,
doing a 3 mile route.
So my dear friend ran a 5K with me spontaneously.
Deb and I have shared some very strange happenings together.
We have survived hitting a deer in the fast lane of
Route 287 with her car while having
two infant boys in the backseat.
We were together when her little one got sick
all over her at the PA Farm Show 1 hour into our time together.
There are more, but I cannot list them all here, and
now the most recent, we ran a 5K together.
Well, she whooped me finishing 5 minutes ahead of me.
But I was pleased with my 33 minute time.
More importantly I didn't stop while running which
quickly became my goal when the race started.
I suppose I have come full circle in that I still love
being with my girlfriends because my
friend Amy Babich (Babs) ran the same race.
Not to mention I was the last of my friends to finish.
Not too much has changed, and I'm simply fine with that.
Just being active made me happy.
Here the kids are after their mad dash.
It was suppose to be a 1/2 mile which turned out to be
"Run to that guy up there and come back!"
rather lame.
They did well and were proud of their ribbons.
We all went home happy.
Favorite thing
A sense of accomplishment
No comments:
Post a Comment