August 2011

August 2011

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

As if it couldn't get any better . . .

It was the first day of school today for my girls.
As much as I anticipate the new beat in my home
during school, it still catches me a bit off guard.
Anyways, to take my mind to a happy spot 
I thought I'd visit a perfect day that happened not too long ago.

This will continue and conclude the writings of
the weekend getaway that Mat and I shared 
to New England in August.

Our last day away, after the delightfully 
enchanted wedding the night before,
we breakfasted with family 
(my parents, cousin, and Aunt and Uncle).
After chatting with my cousin Kate about 
the long, laid back, slow and jolly atmosphere
of our breakfast she helped me see that
it was just like when we are on vacation with one another.
And so it was.
We sat, chatted, shared stories and pictures,
 and ate for at least 
an hour and a half around the table
of Holiday Inn as if we had no place to go,
as if we weren't among the public.
I do hope it blessed others to see
us having such a great time with one another.

Then it was time to start our very last adventure of
the weekend.
Off to Boston we drove.
We parked in the Boston Commons
and started the Freedom Trail through the city.
As simple as following as red line on a sidewalk
and as inexpensive as a map from the Visitor's Center, 
it was as if it was made for us.

The weather was sunny and clear,
as was our outlook on the day.
We toured a graveyard, church and walked past 
the town hall too.
The marketplace was fun, so much to see and do.
So very many people to watch, street performers,
business people on lunch breaks, and the vendors.
And the smells of the many restaurants, ahhh.
We saw many sights but my very favorite part came after
we saw Paul Revere's home. 

At the Visitor's Center, Paul, the cashier who
answered our questions also recommended
a few places to eat in the Italian district of the city.
We assessed our halfway mark on the Freedom
Trail and decided not to finish the tour, but
rather, we would stop at a restaurant on the 
way back to our car.

So as we walked to the recommended eatery we passed
an Italian Grocer of which I had to enter because of the
display window and it's contents.


Do you see the bread in that window?
How could I resist?  I just had to go in and see what other
delights called my name.


As I was enjoying all the sights of European chocolate
Mat stood behind me and said, "It stinks in here."
"Aaah, cheese!," said I and I meandered a little 
quicker to the cheese counter.
I became as giddy as a school girl as I gave Mat
my newest idea.
"How about we buy some yummy cheeses, salami, and a loaf
of bread to make our own picnic on the Commons?
We have our own tomatoes and a cheese knife in the car
along with the picnic blanket"
He agreed, wise man that he is, and I 
tasted cheese from a tall, and dark man.



So this is me being SOOOO EXCITED just in case you haven't seen
this face in a while.



We took in the sights on the way to the car and enjoyed the 
cobblestone streets and the joy of knowing our way 
back from whence we came.


So above you will see a very relaxed and content me with slurpee in hand
(purchased at 7 Eleven, not the Italian Grocer).


Our delightful buys at the Italian Grocer with
our very own home grown tomatoes.


And the opened paper packages to reveal the delightful
contents within.
There is just something very old world about paper wrapped
meats and cheeses that I thoroughly enjoy.


Here is the tower of delight.
That cheese was divine, wonderfully aged and all gone when we left.
The bread, crusty on the outside, super soft inside.


And this my friends is a very at ease Mat.
Now, mind you at this point life cannot get any better
for me, or so I think.

I need to preface the next part of the story with a rather
quirky part of me.  I got to spend nearly one year living in
Europe and there are just a few smells that 
tickle me pink.  They would be 
1.) diesel bus exhaust,
2.) the smoke of Marlboro cigarettes, and 
3.) cigar and pipe smoke.
Don't judge me for these likes, they simply take me back
to one of the very best years of my life when I lived a tad
more independently and got to explore the urban life more often.

As we were enjoying the beauty of God there in the green 
grass with the blue sky and a calm breeze something happened.

The man who was sitting down wind of us with his two little
yappy dogs lit a cigar.  And yes, yes, the smoke wafted 
to our little piece of perfectness and made me smile.
That, be still my soul, was my wink from God.
The entire day was me delighting in the love that 
Christ has for me in all the little things, and the 
lit cigar was the cherry on top.


Favorite thing

simply remembering this day
and the joy it brought Mat and I
experiencing it together.

2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures! And you had such a beautiful day to walk around in Boston!
    Also, it was wonderful to see you guys at the weddding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know every time I smell a cigar I think of you?

    ReplyDelete