So I am not so sure if anyone has noticed that I haven't
written a blog entry in over a month but I feel
the need to give you a reason as to why.
There are a few:
start of a new school year and schedule
enjoying watching Gilmore Girls seasons 1 and 2
harvest season
So here are some pictures of just a few of the delights
that have been processed in this home over the
past six weeks.
Mat and I decided to do salsa one afternoon while
listening to a Phillies baseball game.
We started rather spontaneously and I didn't anticipate
that it would go so quickly. It had quite a bit to
do with listening to something while our hands were busy.
The peeling process, then chopping.
All the flavors coming together, then off to the canner.
Unfortunately, I underestimated the amount of tomatoes
we had (2 bushels) and the spices were not as potent as
I would like. Therefore, there will be some
doctoring up of salsa once the jars are opened all winter.
Then it was corn time.
My dear husband heard of a field of sweet corn
that was not going to be harvested because it was nearly
leveled by a hurricane. He decided that it was worth his while
to go glean corn for his family and came home with 375 ears of corn!
So I called a regular partner in such exciting events and
Webb came over to join in the fun. Allie and Webb's daughter,
Sophie, helped soooo much too. It was a full day from noon til
dark full of corn.
A tip we utilized from a Cook's Illustrated magazine,
cutting the corn off the cob into a bundt pan.
You place the cob vertically over the center hole of the pan.
Here is the bounty we have stored for the winter.
God provides in such fun ways.
And then it was peach day. . .
The same friends were present but Mat joined in the festivities as well.
Mat is fantastic at canning and knows how to do it all.
I love that about him.
Notice the kids playing in the background of this picture.
Spending time with the Webbs is so wonderful mostly
because all family members of both families are happy to
see one another and spend time together.
We canned 69 quarts of peaches
and over 30 pints of salsa.
Aren't they beautiful?
Favorite thing:
washed and folded kitchen towels
in their correct place on the day of their cleaning





No comments:
Post a Comment