August 2011

August 2011

Monday, December 5, 2011

Damals

Damals.
This is a word I learned in Germany.
I knew that someday I would look back and 
use it often when I thought of my time in Europe.
Damals means back then.

Little did I know just how often that word 
would come to mind.
I must use it here because years ago,
like 7 years ago, I met a girl named Janelle.
She was new to our youth ministry
and had spent most of her days in Leon, France.

She lived there with her parents, brothers, and dog
named Snickers.  Her family had damals recently moved
back to the United States, Berks County,
or Berkistan (as her family lovingly named it).

Of course I was interested in her and her love of
Europe and so our friendship began.
This is my dear, sweet friend all grown up now.


Damals, during the few years we lived near one another
we shared many a fond memory together.
We would eat breakfast together at a diner once
a week and I would then take her to school.
We even had breakfast together the morning my
little Kylie Beth (Beth after Janelle's mother) 
was born.

Well this beauty has been at Moody Bible Institute for years
now and I haven't made the trip as I had wanted until this year.
It happened in a timely manner and allowed me to avoid
an October snowstorm in New Jersey.

We have a wonderful relationship that seems to pick up
just wherever we last left off.  This is very freeing in 
any friendship, and much appreciated too.

Upon arriving in Chicago we promptly went for breakfast.
This is one of the things we do best together, eat.
We found ourselves in the restaurant named Orange.
I had Rosemary Orange Infused French Toast,
it was amazing in case you wanted to know.

After breakfast we were off for a walk.
Michigan Avenue and Millenium Park were
the first destinations.  The green grass was so
inviting and the sky so blue that I just had to stop.
(ok, now I'm reminding myself of Maria in the Sound of 
Music explaining herself to the Nun at the Abbey as to
why she was lost in the hills singing).
So there we were and we laid down on the grass
and appreciated the sky, the red leaves above us, each other, and
our time together.


So I was shown the sights and enjoyed the
smells and sounds of the city.
I got to see the L as seen in one of my favorite
movies, While You Were Sleeping, and many other
places featured in the movie.

We caught some "Fro Yo" or frozen yogurt
with every topping imaginable and ate it outside.
The While You Were Sleeping Movie was viewed
that afternoon, under a cozy red blanket.
 I needed some time to off my feet from 
walking miles and having a belly that was contracting
with baby #5 within.

I was able to meet Janelle's best buds
Kristin and MaryBeth and the man of her life too, Jared.


Here are the roommates as Elastigirl and Violet
from the Mr. Incredible movie.
One day was Mock a Movie day and the students
dressed up as a movie character.

I was able to attend a class, eat out often,
and make new memories in a new city.

We went to the Planetarium at night to see the 
city skyline, attended Moody Church (awesome!),


 walked to
the Conservatory, and saw the Chicago Beach.

In the Moody Church there were these bumps
under the old wooden fold down chairs.


Do you know what these circles were for back in the day?
This is where the men's top hats sat during the service.


At the beach I got to see another love,
Charis from our youth ministry in Pa. was visiting
her sister near Chicago for the weekend.
We met up for a short bit too.
Charis and Janelle finally got to meet after
hearing me talk to them about the other for years.


This was one of my favorite moments.
Just being on the roof of Janelle's dorm and viewing the city.

There are many things that make me smile about my
time in Chicago.  Most of them have to do with Janelle
and how God brought us together and still uses us in
one another's lives.  Janelle is engaged to be married
to a great guy who loves the Lord and will be taking
a youth pastor position after graduating and wedding.

How Janelle seeks to honor the Lord and has set up
a plan for success with girlfriends who keep her accountable,
parents who are involved in her life, and healthy spiritual
habits.  Learning will always be part of her life, she
loves people, all of them and it shows.
I got to see her at work as she taught English As a 
Second Language downtown.

Our conversations were full of questions from Janelle
about ministry, marriage, and life after graduation.

I wish I could say the same of all the teens Mat and I have
invested in, that they are seeking God's will in their lives.
  When events like this take place it reassures
me of the work I am involved in daily.

Meanwhile, back in New Jersey it snowed a lot.
Two days of school were cancelled, thousands of people
were without power for days, and Mat weathered it all with
4 kids at home (and electric too, thank you Lord).
This is what I missed, or so I was told but snow was not on the 
ground when I returned home.
I think they are all making it all up.



favorite thing
airports, airplanes, flying

I like to think that while taking off in an airplane
someday I hope to experience going home to Jesus
in a manner that is even more powerful.
And oh how wonderful it will be to be welcomed.






No comments:

Post a Comment