August 2011

August 2011

Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Great Getaway


Peace and quiet.
This is a picture symbolizing a recent weekend getaway
I enjoyed with some girlfriends.

I had planned this for weeks, an escape from home
for a mini vacation and it finally came.
Mind you, we were not officially going anywhere until
we were all in the same vehicle together.
There are so many hoops to jump through in order to go
but all worth the effort . . .
laundry to do,
meals to shop for, prepare,
instructions to leave,
bags to pack,
possible snowstorm to think of.
Will a child get sick and matters will be more complicated?

But it happened.
Three mothers were in the same "mom mobile"
leaving 12 children and 3 gracious fathers behind.
We were on our way to Pennsylvania.

So what would we do without children and husbands?
Shop.


We hit one of my favorite little Mennonite shops, 
Echo Hill 
for some dry goods.
My friends Pam (left) and Amy had 
never before been there and they enjoyed the 
experience.  I think the fun finds were
fried green beans,
chocolate almond butter, and
semi sweet chocolate chips
(no other chocolate chips compare to these).

Thereafter we proceeded to the
Bent and Dent store.
Here we perused the aisle of 25 cent 
salad dressings and  50 cent gourmet cookies.
Most everything is less expensive in PA.
One exception being gasoline, that's always cheaper 
in New Jersey.

Realizing we were hungry we searched for a Ruby Tuesday
Restaurant and were looking forward to
a salad.  There is something about eating
a salad that you did not prepare yourself.
Somehow it always tastes better.


So there we sat in our booth with Webb 
(I call my friend Amy this, it is her last name, this is 
her nickname since there are so many Amys in our circle of friends)
humming and singing along with all the great songs of the 1990s.
We were feeling rather free not having to cut food for any little
bodies, and having eaten our own food while still hot.
We lingered there with great conversation a bit, simply
because we could. Eventually we moved on when it 
was just about 10pm.

We arrived at the home of my dear friend Linda whom I have
known for less than 10 years I would say.



Linda is one whom I hold very dear.  Her stories have often 
captivated me, and her love for the Lord beckons me closer 
to the Creator each time I am with her.

I was delighted to introduce my friends to Linda and that time
came only minutes after arriving at her super cozy home.
I thought I had pictures of her home from last year, but 
I cannot find them.

We first chatted over a cup of tea in her sitting room, 
and I was off to bed shortly after, falling asleep near midnight.
Tired and happy.

Saturday morning was delightful. 
The sun was shining, the birds chirping.
I was out the door by 8 am for a walk and Linda joined 
me for a second walk as I was approaching her home.

Linda's daughter, my friend, Charis
joined us in the morning and stayed with us until late
afternoon.  What a joy it was to spend time with her.
Charis is mother of 2 little guys, Luke and Evan.
She caught a break too as her parents watched the boys
while she escaped with us thrift shopping.

We traveled to two different Goodwills.
We sought deals, and deals we found.
Clothing for 85 cents a piece,
nothing can beat that.

That evening we enjoyed some crafting 
after a yummy dinner.  Webb made some special
sauce to go on the asparagus.

Roasted Asparagus With Balsamic Brown Butter Sauce

is the recipe to be found at www.food.com
I have yet to figure out how to insert fun things from the internet.

Sunday morning was a favorite part of the trip.


We gathered all our breakfast fixins and were off to the garden.
There we sat in the sun, enjoying tasty food.
There we spoke of God working in our lives,
and listened to amazing truths from Linda's life, of 
how He led her through very specific encounters with Him.

Shortly thereafter we packed up and headed for home.
We were grateful for a break and for loving husbands
who allowed such a retreat.


Favorite Thing:  
The smell of a wood stove as I enter the great outdoors.





No comments:

Post a Comment