August 2011

August 2011

Friday, August 5, 2011

My Thought Menagerie

It has been toooooo long since I posted last.
There is much to capture but I feel that much is 
also lost as I am a live in the moment person.

Since my last posting I have been at the beach for 2 weeks.
Harvey Cedars Bible Conference to be exact.
This would not have been possible nor enjoyable without
my sweet sister-in-law, Tammy and her daughter Kerissa.
Both made the beach amazing.

Kerissa is the favorite toy of all my children.  
When she is around I don't see my kids for hours, 
sometimes days and there is rarely an issue to resolve.

Tammy is a lifesaver.
Tammy loves the beach and going to it during the hot
hours of the day.
I, however, do not.
Each day she took my big kids to the beach and
enjoyed it to boot!
This allowed me to stay back with Micah,
the 2x a day napper, and often times
I joined him in napping.

Now you may want to prepare yourself for the next
statement and grab a seat before reading it.
Are you seated and ready?
I am reading a book.
Actually I am almost done with it.
The book is entitled One Thousand Gifts
by Anne Voskamp and it is just as beautiful
inside as the cover is outside.

Reading this book has been a highlight of my last 
few weeks.  The words, so beautifully assembled,
beckon the heart to come near the Lord in a 
daily, real life, vulnerable sort of way.
It takes a bit of digesting and yet I find myself
longing to reread every word.

Another highlight was catching up with my fellow 
friends that are also as I say, "Married into Youth Ministry."
There is a certain understanding among us,
something we share in our everyday lives, a lot actually,
that allows us to connect well when we see 
each other for one, sometimes two weeks a year.

Most mornings after breakfast the oodles of children would 
play in the lobby, prayer tower, and most every inch of
available space.  This proved well for the women to converse
and keep an eye out for any child needing assistance
either their own or any other.

One particular conversation caught my attention
as a mother of a 2 year old cried silently saying how
her son was struggling with himself and doing
what he should in obeying God's way.
To see a fellow mother's heart melt
for her tender little one melted me and 
caused me to evaluate where my heart is
for my children.
A child is never too young to be introduced
to Christ.

And yet isn't that what we all struggle with?
That is how I wrestle with God. 
Who am I and what should I be doing?
My heart has recently gone through turmoil
as I look back on the lives that I have touched, 
invested in, cried over and with, and it breaks me
to see those I have loved grow to make choices
that are less than excellent.

I suppose this is a mother's heart.
Will it change what I do now as I have a deep
passion to mentor young people?
Not in the least as I see the undeniable importance
in my own life.  This week I cried to a woman 
I adore telling her that our 5 minute chat in the church
foyer was the highlight of my day.

Having a mentor is life giving breath to my soul.  
Is that what so many lack?  Someone to simply care?
Oh to be able to do all that I desire with ease.
I had the privilege to visit with two very important ladies 
while away.  Two women who helped form me in my teen 
years.  Pam and Dawn were both at Harvey Cedars
and are still doing what they did with me.
Loving others to Christ.
I am eternally grateful for their involvement in my
life as I was not always easy (nor am I now) 
to love.

Tears come easily these days and I expect them
to continue for the 
remainder of this pregnancy.
To not lose the moments that come and go is my
goal now, to enjoy what the Lord allows to come my
way.  Whether good or bad there is always
something to be thankful for, something to find
joy in, and grace to show (either to myself or others).

Favorite thing
dreaming of a homestead someday
and the energy and stick with it ness to
do it well.


No comments:

Post a Comment