Well it just so happens that my friend Allie who lives here holds a job that someday I would like to have, and I hold a job that she would someday like to have as well. Allie creates flower bouquets and delivers them at a local flower shop here in Clinton. I always thought it to be quite the cheery job and one that I could use some creative energy at. It is interesting to hear her stories of places she has delivered to, and people she has met along the way. However, last night's story is unique in a rather sad way. No, it does not include delivering to a funeral home as one would think.
Rather, it is about a man who had 100 roses delivered to a woman. It was a delivery like none other. Allie the delivery girl was excited as I would be to deliver a piece so large that she could not even see where she was walking when carrying it. She found the woman to receive the delivery and presented her with 100 Roses. The response was, "What am I suppose to do with that?." Ungrateful. How sad, this woman was seriously ungrateful for the hundreds of dollars someone spent on her. Now, don't get me wrong, but I know plenty a woman who would faint at such a sight coming her way whether it was for her or not. The recipient proceeded to make snide remarks about how she should sell some and make some money, and how unpractical of a gift this was.
I got to thinking . . . this reminds me very much of how God lavishes His love on us. How God prepared for centuries to send His only Son to save the world of sin. Lavish in my mind means going overboard, doing more than expected to make a point. That is exactly what God did and continues to do to me, to each one of us. How is my response? Am I just as the Rose Recipient, ungrateful? Do I overlook all the details of a bouquet? Do I make jokes about how huge God's blessing is? When doing so who am I crushing? It really would be crushing to witness or be the creator of such a delivery.
There are many ways that I am lavished each day and I need to see them as such. I am lavished on when I receive hugs and kisses from my little ones, I am lavished when I use the direct line to God and communicate with Him, I am lavished when I watch in amazement the body of Christ here on earth working together in harmony when there is no reason why they should be doing so, I am lavished when God overwhelms me with His work in my life and simply lets me be loved by Him.
In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace which He lavished on us. -Ephesians 1:7-8
A favorite thing: a special delivery from someone who loves me
No comments:
Post a Comment