It is that time of year again.
The time of year when there is most definitely snow on the ground and it is
the Pennsylvania Farm Show.
It seems these two coincide every year and for us they were both planned for the same day.
I love a good farm show and I rave about it to anyone who appreciates animals,
good food, or backyard farming. This year I was able to go and take my 4 yung'uns with me, but I required an extra set of hands, Allie provided that. Mat has never been to this Farm Show and was not planning on taking a day off of work in order to travel 4 hours in the car with us and navigate mass amounts of people equipped with 2 strollers and 4 children.
So we trekked out on a very chilly Tuesday morning.
After packing items for snacks, lunches, diaper changes, and potty stops along the way,
we were off. Upon our arrival we passed through my favorite spot, the food court full of
many PA delicacies such as honey ice cream, maple syrup cotton candy,
baked potatoes, trout, chicken, fried mozzarella cheese, milkshakes, and many more
tasty items. From there we made our way to the elevator where we waited in
line to go to the next level, one does this when traveling with strollers
(unless you are Mat Dawson, he has no problem taking strollers on escalators,
not me I worry I will not be swift with movements on and off the moving
stairs and that I will inevitably knock someone down
creating a domino effect all because I
did not follow the rules).
When we finally got to where we were going we enjoyed the 1,000 pound
butter sculpture that took 10 days to create.
We traversed to the honey extraction location only to find that it was not
kid friendly. Due to this we chose to start feeding lunch to
those children who were in need of food. This proved to be all of them.
There was no place to sit so we pulled our strollers over and got cozy on the ground
with our packed lunch. During this time we dealt with a 7 year old
meltdown which ended when Daddy was called, Mommy was
taddled on, Daddy said he would pray for us, and alas
free ice cream was located from Turkey Hill.
That is an answered prayer.
Spirits were lifted and on we were again to view sheep, cattle,
alpacas, a sow and 12 piglets. That was quite a site.
As you can see, that mama pig simply is confined to a feeding trough.
Apparently when supplying nourishment to 12 little ones there is no
time left for anything else. This makes me
consider all the time that I have been nursing an infant.
It is over 4 years already.
An unfortunate incident came about when Caleb developed hives
in the poultry room. The girls were enjoying the chicks and ducklings as their
brother was screaming "GET ME OUT OF THE STROLLER."
When he wouldn't stop scratching his face and I noticed the raised bumps
he was itching we found the first aid station and got some benedryl.
The farm show experience was not complete without a
stop at the food court where we
found some french fries and milkshakes.
The snow had started as we left the building and were
bussed to our car, and less than 2 hours later
after all children slept we arrived home.
I love farmshows.
favorite thing: fair french fries with vinegar


No comments:
Post a Comment