August 2011

August 2011

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Fresh off the Farm (Part One)


During the winter months my parents brought me this.


My Father built this box for me.
There were more containers as well, but most of them filled with
childhood treasures.
As I dutifully sorted through the boxes the memories of my
beloved childhood came alive.

I discovered books that I had recently wondered if I had ever read
such as Little House on the Prarie.
My parents said I did, but I do not recall it. However,
I remember the covers of the books now that I have seen them again.



My ultimate favorite book, one that I haven't forgotten over 
the many years was in that box.


It is obvious that somebody loved this book, and that somebody
was me.  The book is titled Life Around Us.
Some of the articles had pictures some in color, some black and white, 
but they all contained pictures of life, plants, fish, exotic animals, and forest creatures.
But my most favorite page of all was this one


and the chapter in the book it marks is Living on a Farm.

I like to think that I imagined I was this little girl


as I absolutely loved all animals, especially dogs.
I would read books to my grandparent's dog when
I was little, or at least I thought I was reading to the dog.

All these items are lovely but it is the memories that I cherish most.
I have the best childhood memories and many of them are because
I grew up on a farm, and because all my neighbors were family.

My earliest memories consist of 
tractor wheel sandbox,
picking blue bells in the meadow,
wondering how my great grandparents could bend so low while standing up
to pick strawberries,
the stone farmhouse with the large kitchen and the daybed in the corner,
farm dogs,
and family, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, and great grandparents.

One of my fondest memories of all is
racing the clouds across the field while barefoot.
My grandparents live across the field from my parents and 
I was there numerous times a week.
When I would return home in the afternoon the sun 
was just right and I could race the shadows of clouds across the field.
That is my mind's picture of freedom and I will not forget it.
Another delight is hearing my grandfather call his dog in
at night as I sat outside while the sun set.  
He had a specific whistle for his dogs, and I
did too for my dog, that's just what this farm girl did.

Favorite thing:
Rhubarb and Dandelions



No comments:

Post a Comment