August 2011

August 2011

Friday, May 20, 2011

Fresh Off the Farm (Part Two)

It has long been a dream of mine to have chickens.
I have waited for a year for chicks that I have such fond 
memories of from my childhood.

I am happy to say that the wait is over and in the beginning of
April we purchased six New Hampshire Reds.


They arrived mostly fuzzy with a few little feathers on
their wingtips.  The children took a liking to 
them immediately and they became family rather
quickly as they took their spot in the dining room.


Something to love is what Kylie now has 
as you will see her admiring the new pets below.
She sat for hours (literally) just watching them.




Micah on the other hand loves the chicks too,
but didn't show his affection in a way that they
approved of.  Quite often I would find a pacifier,
Mr. Incredible toy or something of the sort thrown
into their container.  As you can imagine
the chicks nearly had a heart attack and made
quite a fuss over Micah's actions.
Needless to say, they all survived and are now
all the more hearty for it.

I found the most delightful plans for a chicken coop
as that is what was needed next.
So I ordered plans for the desired coop,
and gathered the needed materials.

This is what was created.


Here is the coop.
It would not be shown here, or even attempted without my
dear father's help.
My Dad came 3 separate times to build this coop with me.
I must say that I have many a fond memory
of working with my father,
and it is my favorite way to spend time with Dad.



Here are some more pictures should you have interest in seeing 
just how much the chickens and our family enjoys the 
new coop.


I love the many options of this coop.
There are two levels and a ramp that can be lowered
for the birds to come to ground level.
The top sides lift off to clean out the coop, and
the ends of the top have doors to open
for one to gather eggs from the nesting boxes easily.
The coop has handles to be picked up and moved
from place to place in the backyard.


Caleb wanted to help.



There they are, all cozy in the top of their little coop.


At night the coop glows as the brooder light warms 
the chicks for the first 6 weeks of their lives.

Favorite thing:
not losing sight of a dream
and bringing it to completion


No comments:

Post a Comment