There is so much to write about.
I have taken too much time away from this blog
and so the topics on which I would like to explore here
add up in my mind, so much so that I catch
myself making lists of what to write about next on the dawsondiner blog.
In the last month a fellow mother whose children
are all older than mine said something that
caused me to think.
We hadn't caught up with one another in what
seemed like years and were doing it for 15 minutes
on the phone, during the daunting dinner hour.
I had chosen a meal that was much too involved
and only realized the amount of work it
demanded as I was on the phone.
We were briefing one another on what the kids
are up to in life, how old they are, their health,
interests and so forth.
Eventually she commented, "Oh you are
in the safest stage of mothering."
That really caught me off guard.
What should my response be?
I didn't want to be in a stand alone category of mothering,
I never want to be alone doing anything,
especially mothering.
And as I pondered those words I saw the
truth in them.
The safest stage of mothering.
My children are all in the care of mostly me.
Now there's a frightening thought,
and yet it causes me to think of what an
example I am being to these little eyes and ears that
observe so well all day and night.
The safest stage of mothering.
We are home a lot, more than we will be most
likely in any other stage of mothering.
I have the most say at this point than I will have later
on in the lives of my children.
Their lives are under my care, watch, and
dare I say control.
There it is, I said it control.
(big sigh)
Control.
Every parent is
at different levels on the control spectrum.
I do not want to be the parent that drives their children
from them because of too much control.
I have recently watched a friend try to shake the
motherly control grasp. Frightening.
Or am I on the other end of the spectrum,
am I lacking in control?
Needless to say, I do enjoy this safe stage.
I do my best to enjoy the time for what it is.
Favorite thing: pumpernickel pretzels paired with a very sharp white cheese ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment